The Exchange Hotel
Civil War Medical Museum
400 South Main Street
Gordonsville ParaCon Event
NoVA SPIs was a vendor at this event with WPRS
June 10, 2017
The Exchange Hotel was a classical Georgian house built in 1859 by Richard F. Omohundro. The building’s function was a hotel catering to railroad passengers. Historic Gordonsville, Inc. acquired and restored the property in 1971, and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 14, 1973.
Gordonsville, “A Railroad Town,” was a transportation center for the farms and plantations of the area. The first depot was erected in 1854.
In March 1862, the Exchange Hotel was taken over by military authorities and received the wounded from the battlefields for the duration of the Civil War. It became known as the Gordonsville Receiving Hospital. Although this was primarily a Confederate facility, the hospital treated the wounded from both sides. Twenty-six Union soldiers died here.
By war’s end, more than 70,000 men had been treated at the Gordonsville Receiving Hospital and just over 700 would be buried on its surrounded grounds and later interred at Maplewood Cemetery in Gordonsville… Continue reading